Friday, August 15, 2008

A Tribute


I haven't been to Provo lately, particularly BYU Campus. I knew they were tearing down Deseret Towers (DT) and had seen it partly gone, but I was so sad to see it had basically disappeared. I couldn't find any pictures of the empty space online, so here is a partially destroyed building.

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to live in DT their freshmen year. People claim that cafeteria food sucks, but it's only the people that never tried it. I loved the Morris Center! Never-ending ice cream with toppings, waffles with whipped cream and strawberries, Chicken Cordon Bleu on Sundays...except that one time they ran out right before me (only to see that a guy in front of me had 2) because we had church from 2-5pm. DT was awesome! I created some of my best memories my freshmen year. I had the greatest roommate and the best ward ever (I could still probably name everyone in that ward by first and last name). Anyway, it was sad to see it gone. So for anyone out there who lived in DT (especially if we were in the same ward), post a memory you have of your experience there. Here's one from me:

After a Stake dance, my friend Carl and I were messing around wrestling (seriously, he was ONLY a friend; I just like to wrestle). I had grabbed him around the neck and was holding on for dear life on his back. He decided to smash me against the wall of a DT building, a window in particular. Yep, those huge windows in the front of the building. As he did, we heard a cracking sound as the window shattered behind me! Whoops. The cops showed up and asked us questions, and we felt pretty dumb. Luckily, the RA covered for us and we didn't have to pay 100s of dollars to get the window replaced. I would have posted a picture of it, but I think my pics are packed away. I kept a piece of the glass as a souvenir.

Now your turn...

8 comments:

Brittany H. said...

That was totally the first memory that I had! Do you remember when that guy was repelling down S Hall and broke through the window above mine? Tiffany and I heard this crashing noise and we opened the blinds and there were two legs hanging outside of our window! That was messed up!
Or what about when Nat and I made that "claw" out of the yard stick and scratched on people's windows? We tried to scare Jocelyn, but I think she was on to us.
So many wacky times--great post! ;)

SKYE said...

I remember when I sprained my ankle, and Ashleigh wanted to make me some popcorn to make me feel better. She decided to use the microwave in the common room...not the best idea. She totally burned the popcorn and stunk the place up for quite some time. I think she still doesn't cook popcorn!

Cindi said...

I didn't live at DT but across the street in Heritage Halls. All of our guy friends from our ward and our YW group lived in DT though. I remember playing pranks on them on Wednesdays when we were allowed to go in for a few minutes. I also loved the Cougar Cove. When I was there, a long time ago, we could get 3 large scoops of ice cream from 63 cents.

Rhiannon, I'm finally getting around to processing Reed's pictures. I posted one on my blog today and I should have more on my photography blog later. I hope you like them. He is so cute.

The Gilday Family said...

I don't even know where to start when it comes to memories. I remember when Moroni asked you to the dance and you wanted me to go with you to answer him back. So we had the pair of pants, The "Claw", and the rocking/chair that we had in our dorm rooms. We went outside to put the pair of pants outside of his window and we realized oh yeah he lives on the 5th floor. Another time is when Natalie,Brittany, and myself took Rhi and Matt up to park to makeout or whatever and we started down the hill and my truck started spinning out of control. The things you do for Friends!

Brittany H. said...

Ha! I totally forgot about your truck incident! Actually, I think there were several memories involving your truck--like the Natalee and Brad setup! Didn't someone put chocolates out there or something?

Kevin & Rhiannon said...

Yes! I totally forgot about the Brad and Natalee setup! We blared "Kiss the Girl" from the 5th floor to set the mood, and I'm pretty sure Joce put the chocolates out there. Then we spied on them until they kissed. haha, good times.

El Gran Miguelito said...

I ditched class with Matt Maughan to go eat at Panda Express and I was hoping we would make it back fo the next class but I had ordered some shrimp and apparently they had to go to the ocean to get some...anywho, I told Matt that I hoped Panda Express would burn down. THE NEXT MORNING, MORONI HANDS ME A DAILY UNIVERSE AND SHOWS ME THE ARTICLE WHEN THE PLACE BURNED DOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!

P.S. I still have a bazillion other stories =)

Nicole said...

The first memories that popped into my head were not-so-good ones... my roommate moving out to live with her mom on the third floor, those fake eggs at the cafeteria (all the other food was pretty good, though), Jaehee going to live in Heritage then hating it, upperclassmen picking me up for dates and thinking who knows what when they saw the dorm. And wasn't there a girl in our ward at first who got married, like, 2 months after we got there? I think I saw her twice...