Friday, August 15, 2008

Date Night


Last night Kevin and I were able to leave Reed with some friends in the ward and go on a date! I was super excited about it. It was going to be very simple: picnic in the park, ice cream, and maybe some basketball. And it was for the most part, but I just wanted to complain for a few minutes. **By the way, I've been nervous to eat chocolate because I was told it could affect breast milk, thus making babies fussy. But I wanted to at least try anyway.
The picnic was great. Very simple with sandwiches and chips. I am a bottomless pit so I nearly finished off the entire bag. And I only stopped because I felt guilty about it...and I still wanted ice cream. By the way, Reed is only 6 weeks (in a few days) but I already miss adult conversation. It was so fun just hanging out with Kevin, talking and laughing again (about stuff other than Reed's poopy diapers).
We headed off to find ice cream. For those of you who know me know that I LOVE ice cream. Coldstone is always top choice, but we are feeling very poor so we opted for some cheap Macey's soft serve cones. We drove to the 800 North Macey's only to discover that they ran out of chocolate ice cream! I was very sad and angry. Seriously people, who likes plain vanilla ice cream?! Always have enough chocolate!
Next attempt was the BYU Creamery--first the one by the former Deseret Towers (which is now demolished) and then the one on 9th. Holy wow, there were people everywhere! The students aren't even back but you could be sure every other person and their dog in Provo was at that Creamery. For real, are there no other ice cream options?? That place is always packed.
Now you're probably saying there are tons of ice cream places in the area, and there are, but most are so expensive. Remember, poor. So Kevin is enlightened at this moment (I am still angry) and remembers the deliciousness of Smart Cookie. Me = happy again. We drive just a few seconds and see that Smart Cookie is closed for 2 weeks! What the?! Is anyone surprised at this point? Gosh, I hate BYU campus.
I suddenly recall that Hogi Yogi also has cookie sandwiches; inferior to Smart Cookie but it's ice cream nonetheless (and cheap). The kid helping us obviously could tell I was distraught because he hooked us up pretty good. And to my surprise and delight, it was better than I remember.
So overall, the ice cream date was a success. Granted, we had to drive around for 30 min. wasting precious babyless-date-night time and basketball never happened. But let's be honest, I missed that Reedster anyway. So it was a great night but also good to be home. **And Reed likes chocolate too. :)

3 comments:

Cindi said...

Eat whatever you want. That's my nursing advice. I love spicy foods and chocolate and I don't change my diet at all while nursing. I haven't had any problems with any of my kids and they all like spicy food now. :)

I'm glad you finally found some good ice cream. I ruined my Ben and Jerry's stash by leaving the freezer door open all night and have really been in mourning.

Rachel said...

I love that Smart Cookie place! I can't believe I forgot to make a trip there when I was in Provo in July!! I agree with Cindi, unless you notice a change for the worst with diaper content or disposition in Reed, I would indulge, especially with chocolate! I mean really, what else is a new mom supposed to take comfort in?! A good night's sleep? That's what I thought! Glad you had a fun date!

kat b. said...

soooo you basically wasted more money on gas trying to find a "cheaper" ice cream, then you would have just going to coldstone in the first place? yea that sounds about right.