Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday with a 14 month old

So I was just wondering how to deal with Reed during a 3 hour church day. My question is this: If I want him to know that he can't just cry and be crazy and expect to have fun in the hall, what do I do? He just wants to crawl/walk around, and I don't really let him do that much in sacrament meeting/classes. Do I refuse to let him "have fun" in the hall and wait until he calms down and bring him back to class or just let him get the wiggles out in the hall? But like I said, I don't want him to think he can just cry and get his way. Or is he just too young all together? I ask this because I rarely see people in the hall with their kid and they're also not running around in class. What do you guys do? My child just doesn't like to be held very much...(I now know what you mean, Trine).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out! Sundays are good times. Ash has started being better during sacrament because we sit in a side pew now. That has helped IMMENSELY. If he needs to be taken out we go into an empty room and when he calms down we go back to the meeting. As for the other two hours this might sound bad but we don't make him go to sunday school. He gets to roam and then during PH/RS he's with one of us where there is room in the back for him to play quietly.

In three months they'll be in nursery where, yes there will be a little lesson and structure, but they'll mostly be allowed to play so why try to make things harder on yourself then necessary? 3 hr blocks can be hard for me I can't imagine what it's like for a baby who just wants to explore.

Brittany H. said...

I agree with Trine. Side pew = awesome, you just guard the exit. I always tried to keep them reverent during sacrament meeting just so they knew it was a time to do quiet activities. Then Kevin and I took turns watching her go crazy in the hallways for the other classes. P.S.-I can't wait for the Lord to trim church down to 2 hours!! ;)

Katie said...

I think from about 13months-until your child goes into nursery it is just survival mode. I did this mostly alone due to Marc's calling and I just did what I could to keep us both sane. In the end, I want my children to think of church as a place they want to be at and this will be the foundation for the rest of their life. I keep her "in line" but only to the expectations of her age (which means we spend a lot of time in the halls). And then I LOVED nursery.

Cindi said...

I agree with the other mom's comments. Teach him to be reverent in Sacrament Meeting (easier said than done) but let him relax during the other meetings. As long as he's not banging on class room doors, just let him wander the halls. It won't be long until he can go in the nursery to play.