Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Baby Sleep Seminar

Disclaimer: The following ideas are my own opinions. All babies are different and all people parent differently. Do what works for you.
Okay, I just wanted to post about this because I thought it was so dang funny. I attended a Baby Sleep Seminar at Babies R Us. The fact that I even went is quite comical. I wasn't sure what to expect but I thought any advice about getting a baby to sleep through the night would be good advice.
First of all, I didn't really gain any new knowledge: establish a bedtime routine, blah, blah, blah. Let me just begin by telling you that the woman giving the seminar was a doula, postpartum doula, and massage therapist. Forgive me now if you love your doula and swear by them (they may be great; she told us she gave a lady a 5 hour massage during labor), but we can all agree that they have strong opinions in some areas of pregnancy, labor, motherhood, etc.
Let's just say I felt like I was at a La Leche Seminar for Baby Sleep Habits. Not necessarily pushing breastfeeding, but psycho like those people (though she did have some pretty funny "statistics" about how breastfed babies have a higher IQ and all that nonsense...I had to tell the girl that bottle fed that she was still a good mom). The woman was a huge proponent for breastfeeding, co-sleeping, attachment parenting in general. That's fine. Not for me, but it works for some people. I just thought it was funny how she made it sound that it was the righteous way of parenting. One attendee asked about how long you should let a baby cry. 10 minutes. Fine. I don't necessarily agree, but here are the "facts" that I found amusing: "After 10 minutes of crying, babies will literally pass out." You'd think more people would know about this if it were actually true. And my personal favorite, "Studies have shown that babies who are left to cry it out have a 20% higher chance of being in prison." I kid you not. I almost laughed out loud. I should have.
So I asked about Reed's catnaps. She said, "sucks for you." Thanks. So it sounds I can't do much about it on my own...unless I want to try wearing my baby constantly in a sling. I know, Kevin sells them but I'm still not a huge fan. Anyway, kind of a waste of time but funny nonetheless.

10 comments:

Robyn Maughan said...

Oh my gosh you just gave me a good laugh. I so wish I could have been there. I probably would have given her a piece of my mind or at least ask where she got her statistics. Prison!! She actually said that. How can she say that??? I would love to see that study and the one where they lined up babies in a row and had them cry until they passed out! Ha Ha. Parental consent for that study must have been difficult :) Thanks for making me laugh tonight.

the Braby family said...

Wow! That's crazy! I guess it just goes to show that 'professionals' aren't really all that professional. I hope things get better for ya. And it push comes to shove, Reedster can be cellmates with my kids. ;)

Cindi said...

My babies have been known to cry WAY longer than 10 minutes without passing out. And hey, if they do pass out, at least they are then being quiet. :) I think all my kids are destined for prison. So funny.

Reed will just start sleeping better as he gets older and don't bring him into bed with you--then NO ONE gets a good night sleep and he might still be there when #2 comes and then what do you do.

Christi said...

Oh, okay...now I see why Colin is the way he is...crying it out too much. Oops. But, I did breastfeed, so hopefully that will keep him out of prison.

What a kook.

Hang in there. Like most things in life, there is no magic answer. Eventually it'll all work out (and then he'll be giving you new problems...coloring on walls, potty mouth, nose pickin', whining, etc.) Oh, the joys of parenting-it's a good thing kids are so darn cute.

Katie said...

Everyone has an opinion. Thank goodness for personal revelation.

Brittany H. said...

Hahaha...ha

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! That's hilarious and horrifying all at once.

Nicole said...

that's amusing :) I wonder where she got her facts... my kid's cried for 40 minutes straight without passing out... sad, but true.

Robin Fisher said...

Rhiannon, we have never met, I am one of Christi's friends. I followed the link because I was curious. I laughed about the prison comment. HA! Better that the kid ends up in prison than the mom because she went CRAZY...but I digress.
My two favorite books about getting babies to sleep through the night--"Baby Wise" or "The Secrets of the Baby Whisper" If you don't like attachment style parenting or the family bed, you will really LOVE these books. If you can, read it with your husband.

Unknown said...

LOL! I happened upon your blog. That is funny!! You might check out my blog on baby sleep that might help. ;)

http://picknicksbrain.com