Thursday, September 11, 2014

Marathon

 I ran my first marathon.  It was hard.  
It has been on my bucket list for a few years but didn't think it was possible since I've had IT band problems in the past (I tried training for a marathon a number of years ago.  Remember that depressing post?)
I trained for a half marathon that I ran in May.  So when my knee didn't hurt at all during training or the race, Kevin brought up the possibility of a marathon.  I still wasn't too sure about the whole idea, but once I decided that I wanted to, I knew I wanted to do it quick.  So I put in 2 long runs and 3 weeks after the Half, I ran the Marathon.


So I still don't claim myself as a runner.  I would never say I love it.  I do it because it is free and I want to exercise.  After the Marathon, I was convinced that I would never run one again.  One and done.  Check it off the list. 
 26.2 miles is really, really far.  It was long and hard, but I completed my goal of running it without stopping (I wouldn't allow myself to go the bathroom or walk while I was drinking, etc.--yes, I am a crazy person).  I totally understand how runners sometimes have poop running down their leg...I didn't, but if it happened, I don't think I would've stopped.  Crazy, I know!  But I'm the type of person that if I make a goal and don't do it exactly as I intended, it is basically the same as a total failure.  I knew I'd be so disappointed in myself and would have to run another Marathon.
So I did it.  My time was 4:03 which was faster than I predicted.  Which meant that Kevin and kids weren't at the finish line until 30 minutes later.  It wasn't anyone's fault, but I was a little sad.  I think I was just exhausted more than anything.
So now that it's been a couple months, I can see how people get addicted to the Marathon.  I still don't love running, but now I feel that since I know I can run a Marathon, anything less is just not good enough.  Jeez.  So the lesson learned here is this: Never make goals and accomplish them.  Just live in mediocrity and you will always be happy. ;)  

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Maybe lack of ambition is my secret to happiness. I admire your drive and your guts. You go girl! I miss you lots and your post about being the mascot made me laugh out loud :)