Monday, November 15, 2010

Cabin Fever already??

With the weather changing, I am kind of dreading the next few months. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE SNOW! But when there is no snow to play in and it's just plain cold, we have to resort to other things than playing outside. In the summertime, we would spend hours outside so I am a little worried what the winter will hold. So what are some of your favorite go-to indoor activities? What kind of "field trips" do you go on with your kids? A few of Reed's favorite indoor activities are playing in the sink, playing with his tub of beans, and he could literally have me read books to him for hours. We still try to leave the house at least once a day (though that may change when the baby arrives), but we like to play at the mall treehouse, visit the pet store, and play at various toy stores. Let's swap some ideas and maybe we can survive the winter together.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

We are in the same boat except that the only time I've really lived in cold weather was when I was at BYU! I am totally at a loss about what to do in the cold. I would love to hear any ideas you come up with! But we do have lots of things we like to do in the house: Liam loves to help me cook. It's extremely messy and a little wasteful, but he could spend hours playing with a little bit of flour and some measuring spoons "making" something; I have tried in the past to do "school" in the morning. I'll set aside a time to sit at the table and color educational pages about letters, numbers, shapes, whatever. Just something to make me feel like I'm teaching my kid something :); We write letters to family members; We have photo shoots (Liam doesn't like this so much so I bribe him with candy to sit for pictures); We've tried making blanket forts but Liam rips them down pretty quick. They're fun for a few minutes, though; We get ball games going in the house. We only allow rolling the ball in the house, though, no throwing! Set up a laundry basket and and roll the ball toward it, moving farther and farther back; You could do "Easter Egg" hunts any time, just hide something else... snowflakes, ornaments, candy canes. They're a favorite here :)
I hope that helps. I'd love to hear more of your ideas!